Monday, September 25, 2006

Equitrade - an overdue concept

I am currently evaluating investment opportunites in Ghana and came across this organization that is doing something very opportune. One of the evaluation criteria I have is: how does one profitably value-add for an export-based business in Ghana? Yes, it is more difficult, more risky, but it also has the greatest potential. I personally find it difficult to stomach the fact that Ghana does not offer world-class chocolate brands (and yes I am a chocaholic, know my chocolate,and sorry to say, but Golden Tree doesn't cut it). There is one contender I just discoved that I will be checking out; I will let you know what I think of their product. But that is about it! Take heart though, our island friends have raised flag in this respect. We should folllow.

2 Comments:

Blogger Arya said...

Hello,

I welcome you to read my reflections, comments, questions and analysis of Equitrade on my blog at:

yajnacentre.blogspot.com

Arya.

12:13 PM  
Blogger N.D. Manu said...

Arya,
Just as Fairtrade was (IMO) better than nothing - and we can argue as to the degree of betterness - so, too, is Equitrade (IMO) better than Fairtrade.

Why? If Ghana is going to participate more effectively in world trade, we need to be in a better position vis-a-vis others. The more Ghana inputs go into whatever we export, the better off the country is.

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home